Ad Blocker Detected
Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Hello everybody, welcome to our recipe site, If you’re looking for new recipes to try this weekend, look no further! We provide you only the best Rice Cake/Giant Idli with Harissa Paste & Podi recipe here. We also have wide variety of recipes to try.
Before you jump to Rice Cake/Giant Idli with Harissa Paste & Podi recipe, you may want to read this short interesting healthy tips about Healthy Eating Doesn’t Have To Be Difficult.
Choosing to eat healthily offers great benefits and is becoming a more popular way of living. Poor diet is a leading factor in illnesses such as heart disease and high blood pressure which can put a drain on the economy. There are more and more campaigns to try to get people to lead a more healthy lifestyle and all the same it is also easier than ever to rely on fast, convenient food that is often bad for our health. Most people typically believe that healthy diets call for a lot of work and will significantly change how they live and eat. It is possible, however, to make a few minor changes that can start to make a difference to our daily eating habits.
These types of changes are easy to accomplish with all sorts of foods and can apply to the oils you cook in and the spread you put on bread. For example, monounsaturated fat such as olive oil can help to offset the bad cholesterol in your diet. Olive oil can likewise be beneficial for your skin because it is a great source of vitamin E. If you presently consume plenty of fresh fruits and leafy greens, you may want to think about where you’re buying them and if it’s the best source. If you go for organic foods, you can avoid the problem of eating crops that may have been sprayed with toxic pesticides. If you can locate a good local supplier of fresh fruit and vegetables, you can also consume foods that have not lost their nutrients as a result of storage or not being picked at the right time.
All in all, it is not hard to start to make healthy eating a part of your daily lifestyle.
We hope you got benefit from reading it, now let’s go back to rice cake/giant idli with harissa paste & podi recipe. To make rice cake/giant idli with harissa paste & podi you need 25 ingredients and 30 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
The ingredients needed to cook Rice Cake/Giant Idli with Harissa Paste & Podi:
- You need 1 Cup of White Urad Daal.
- You need 2 Cups of Idli Rava.
- Provide 1 Tsp of Fenugreek Seeds.
- You need of —————————.
- Prepare of Harissa Paste:.
- Take 2 of Red bell peppers (Medium).
- Provide 60 Grams of Dried red chillies.
- Provide 60 Grams of Garlic.
- Provide 1 Tbsp of Caraway seeds.
- Provide 2.5 Tbsp of Coriander seeds.
- Provide 2.5 Tbsp of Fennel seeds.
- Take 3 Tbsp of Cumin seeds.
- Get 1 Tbsp of Salt.
- Prepare 150 Ml of White vinegar.
- You need 150 Ml of Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
- Provide of —————————.
- Provide of Podi:.
- Prepare 1/2 Cup of Toor Daal.
- Provide 1/2 Cup of Urad Daal (White).
- Provide 1/2 Cup of Moong Daal (Yellow).
- Prepare 1/4 Cup of Sesame Seeds (White).
- Get 2 Cups of Dried Red Chilies.
- Get 1.5 Tbsp of Asafoetida.
- You need 1.5 Tsp of Salt.
- Use 1 Tsp of Sugar.
Instructions to make Rice Cake/Giant Idli with Harissa Paste & Podi:
- To make the Idli: Wash the Daal thoroughly in a medium bowl until the water runs clear..
- Soak covered in 2-3 cups of water & the Methi Seeds for about 2 hours..
- Place the Idli Rava in a large bowl. Add 4-5 cups of water & let it soak covered for about 2 hours as well..
- Drain the water from the Daal & the Idli Rava. Grind the Daal along with the Methi Seeds & 3/4th cup of freshwater..
- Mix it with the Idli Rava. Mix well. Cover with a tight lid or Cling Wrap & leave it to ferment overnight or 8-10 hours..
- Note: During hot summers the batter may rise in just 4 to 5 hours & during winters it may take up to 16 hours or so. Add Salt when ready to cook..
- Heat 2 cups of water in a large pot. Place a trivet in the pot. Grease a 7” springform cake pan. Wrap aluminum foil around it so that the batter doesn’t leak. Check the level of water. It should not be over the trivet..
- Pour the batter in the springform pan. Place it in the pot carefully on top of the trivet when the water comes to a boil over high heat. Cover. Reduce heat to medium. Steam for 30 minutes..
- When done, take out carefully & unmold. Level the top with the help of a long serrated knife or cake leveler in a sawing action..
- Place it in a plate, upside down. Decorate if desired..
- Note: I poured the Harissa Paste in a squirt bottle & made the Cookpad logo..
- Serve hot with Sambar/Coconut ChutneyHarissa Paste/Podi..
- 2.To make the Harissa Paste: Place the chillies in a bowl and cover with boiling hot water. Soak for 1 hour..
- Meanwhile, place the cumin, coriander, fennel and caraway in a dry frying pan over high heat. Toast for 3 minutes, stirring constantly, till fragrant..
- Remove the spices from the pan immediately to prevent burning. Let the spices cool completely. Coarsely grind the spices in a dry grinder or use a mortar & pestle..
- Drain the chillies, reserving a few tablespoons of the chilli water..
- Roast the bell peppers on open flame turning frequently until charred from all sides. Let them cool completely..
- Cut the top & the membrane. Remove the seeds & discard. Peel the skin. Reserve a little bit of the charred skin for a nice smoky flavor..
- Place the garlic & bell peppers in a food processor with a bit of the chilli water. Blend thoroughly. Add the chillies, spices, salt and vinegar. Process for several minutes, till smooth..
- With the food processor running, begin adding a slow, steady stream of olive oil to the mixture. Stop adding once a paste-like consistency is achieved (you may not need all of the olive oil)..
- Store in sterilized glass jars. Stays good in the refrigerator for 6 months or so. Use as required..
- 3.To make the Idli Podi: Roast the daals separately with a few drops of oil over medium heat until you get a nice nutty aroma..
- Be extra careful not to burn them otherwise, it will alter the taste completely. Transfer to a large plate..
- Now, roast the sesame seeds just for about 2 minutes. That’s all it takes. Remove..
- Finally roast the red chilies. Again chilies tend to get roasted quickly so be careful not to burn them. Remove..
- Once all the roasted ingredients are on the plate, add asafetida, salt & sugar while still somewhat warm. Once the mixture is cooled completely, grind to a coarse powder in a dry grinder or coffee grinder..
- Your podi is ready to be served with idlis/dosas. Tip: Use sesame oil to mix with your podi. No o
ther oil seems to match up to that extraordinary taste. Store in an airtight jar. Use as required..
If you find this Rice Cake/Giant Idli with Harissa Paste & Podi recipe helpful please share it to your good friends or family, thank you and good luck.