If you're looking for recipes idea to cook today, look no further! We provide you only the perfect Gwent Cottage Pie recipe here. We also have wide variety of recipes to try.
There are numerous resources of details on cooking. Some details is geared in the direction of seasoned cooks and not for the typical individual. It can be puzzling to wade through every one of the readily available details. Thankfully, this Gwent Cottage Pie recipe is easy to make and will give you some excellent pointers. They will benefit anybody, even an amateur.
You can cook Gwent Cottage Pie using 15 ingredients and 14 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Gwent Cottage Pie
- Prepare of meat sauce.
- Use 80 grams of butter.
- Provide 1 large of onion sliced.
- Provide 350 grams of minced beef.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of plain flour.
- Provide 400 ml of hot beef stock - home-made, from a cube, from a jar, however you want your beef stock.
- Provide of leeks in cheese sauce.
- Prepare 3 medium of leeks.
- You need to prepare 80 grams of butter.
- Provide 1 tbsp of heaped, of plain flour.
- Provide 100 ml of milk.
- You need to prepare 1 tsp of mustard powder.
- You need to prepare 150 grams of grated cheese.
- You need to prepare of Seasoning.
- Use 1 kg of mashed potato - I use a floury potato with lots of butter and a dash of milk.
It is made with minced meat, with mashed potato on top. It comes from the United Kingdom and Ireland. The dish is now popular worldwide. Wonderful cottage pie reminds me of the meals I had in my British school's canteen.
Gwent Cottage Pie step by step
- Add the minced beef to a preheated saucepan and fry quickly releasing the fat (if you use lean beef you'll have to use oil) add thinly sliced onion and lower the heat allowing onions to saute - you can use more meat if you want, but I buy 450g and steal 100g of it to make my Cornish pasties ;).
- When onions have become clear add the butter and melt.
- Sprinkle the flour over the top of the neat and onion mixture and stir in to absorb the butter. Cook for 1 minute whilst stirring..
- Add the beef stock a little at a time stirring well in between to avoid any lumps..
- Put the meat layer into your chosen baking dish - I use a rectangular 12x8, 2 inch deep glass dish but you could choose round, smaller, deeper.
- Now make the leek layer (leaving meat to cool helps keep the layers separate during cooking).
- Put butter into a saute pan with a lid. Add the sliced leeks and sweat with the lid on over a low heat.
- When the leeks are soft, sprinkle over the flour and stir in for 1 minute.
- Add the milk and stir in well now add the mustard powder and grated cheese.
- If you don't have mustard powder you can use yellow English mustard. Add any seasoning at this point that you feel necessary - we all have different palates.
- When leeks cooled dollop onto the meat sauce, then carefully, a forkfull at a time, cover it in mashed potato. I start from the centre so if I don't have enough mashed potato i just leave a border around the outside - it's ok, it doesn't have to be perfect.
- So mashed potato - i may make fresh for this meal, but often I use leftover, so up to you but I would say that you need it to be fairly stiff..
- You can keep in the fridge up to 48 hours before baking, the longer the better as it firms up the layers.
- Bake at 180ºC gas 4 for 35 - 40 minutes until the meat starts bubbling through and it starts to form a sticky crust.
I followed the recipe for everything except the green peas coz I do not have them on hand. Cottage Pie: made with ground beef in gravy and mashed potatoes, baked until hot and bubbling. Cottage Pie is a variation on the equally well known Shepherd's Pie, using minced or ground beef..with the kind of refrigeration we had in our homes, cooked meat could be kept much more safely than raw. Therefore, when housewives bought their Sunday meat they selected pieces large enough to. This classic cottage pie recipe is easy to make and would make the perfect family meal packed with minced beef, sweet tomatoes and topped with creamy mash.
Everybody wishes to be a better cook. Everybody intends to explore enjoyable recipes. Finding the time as well as feeling the inspiration to be creative in the kitchen area can in some cases present a challenge though. We really hope these Gwent Cottage Pie recipe can bring the magic to your kitchen area. Provide a couple of these concepts a try tonight, your palate will thanks!
If you find this Gwent Cottage Pie recipe valuable please share it to your good friends or family, thank you and good luck.